Bankrupt in Spirit
February 14, 2016 Series: The Beatitudes
Topic: Blessed are the poor in spirit Passage: Matthew 5:3
BANKRUPT IN SPIRIT
The first beatitude says: Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs in the kingdom of God. Thomas Watson, a wonderful Puritan pastor (1620–1686), wrote on this text, “This signifies those who are brought to the sense of their sins, and seeing no goodness in themselves, despair in themselves and [appeal] wholly to the mercy of God in Christ.” He went on to say, “Until we are poor in spirit we cannot receive grace, for we are swollen with self-excellency and self-sufficiency. If the hand be full of pebbles it cannot receive gold. Until we are poor in spirit, Christ is never precious. We only see our wants and never see Christ’s worth.” The first beatitude as we are going to see this morning is foundational to the Christian life and salvation itself
Introduction and Review:
· Jesus Preached this sermon more than once
· It is hardly a full fledge sermon
· It was unlike anything His audience had ever heard
The Nature of the Beatitudes:
· They contain the “sacred paradoxes” of scripture.
· They reveal how the opinions and views of the Christian differ radically from the non-Christian.
· They reveal the true nature of religion.
· They describe what every Christian is to be like.
· They describe characteristics and qualities that are supernatural.
· The 8 Beatitudes follow the same pattern. The Congratulations; The Cause; The Consequence.
· They do not reveal a contradiction between law and grace.
Exposition: “Blessed are the poor in spirit...”
A. What Jesus is not Saying!
1. “Blessed in spirit are the poor.”
2. “Blessed are the poor spirited.”
B. What does it mean to be poor in spirit?
C. Why is this beatitude first?
D. How do we receive this poverty of spirit?
Conclusion: Have you become poor in spirit?
(This outline is provided to assist you in understanding and applying this morning’s message. Second in a series of messages on the Beatitudes. This message is available on line at www.MidvalleyBible.org MBC 2/14/2016)
More in The Beatitudes
April 24, 2016Responding to the Beatitudes: Building on Rock or Sand
April 17, 2016The Occupational Hazards of Being a Christian Part 2
April 10, 2016The Occupational Hazards of Being a Christian Part 1