The Occupational Hazards of Being a Christian Part 1
April 10, 2016 Speaker: Series: The Beatitudes
Topic: Blessed are those who are persecuted Passage: Matthew 5:10–5:12
The Occupational Hazards of Being a Christian –part 1
British journalist Malcolm Muggeridge in an interview with William F. Buckley said: “As an old man, looking
back on one’s life, it’s one of the things that strikes you most forcibly—that the only thing that’s taught one
anything is suffering. Not success, not happiness, not anything like that. The only thing that really teaches one
what life’s about ... is suffering.” Muggeridge is right. Most of us do not learn very much from good health,
happy days, money in the bank, and good fortune. We enjoy those things, but we don’t learn much from them. It
seems that we all have spent some time in the School of Hard Knocks to learn the lessons God has for us. That is
where suffering and persecution comes in. Jesus in the final Beatitude makes that point. But, be cautious. The
persecution that Jesus has in mind comes from being righteous – not unrighteous!
Introduction: A Sobering Question: “Am I a Solider of the Cross?”
I. The Beatitude Itself:
A. Its Importance is seen in:
B. Why Bother?
• Being last – the Anchor
• Its Length
• The Command
• Its Explanation
• Repeated by Jesus
• Addressed to us directly
• Without it our confidence can be shaken.
• Suffering and Persecution enhances and deepens our Relationship with God.
II. Important Reminders about Suffering/Persecution:
A. Scriptural Foundation:
B. Misconceptions about Suffering and Persecution:
• Becoming a Christian is a means of ______________ from opposition and suffering.
• God loves us too much to allow us to suffer at the hands of _______________.
• Suffering and Persecution is always the result of _____________.
• Suffering and Persecution is a sign of God’s ________ or __________.
• Suffering and Persecution can separate us from God’s ______________.
• Suffering and Persecution is NOT an evidence of evil men’s ______________.
• Suffering and Persecution is ______________.
Conclusion: Let’s End where we Began: “Am I solider of the Cross?”
(This outline is provided to assist you in understanding and applying this morning’s message. Ninth in a series of messages
on the Beatitudes. This message is available on line at www.MidvalleyBible.org MBC 4/10/2016)
More in The Beatitudes
April 24, 2016Responding to the Beatitudes: Building on Rock or Sand
April 17, 2016The Occupational Hazards of Being a Christian Part 2
April 3, 2016Making Peace in a Warring World